Friday, February 12, 2010

Homemade envelopes are NOT my niche!

So I made a card for my MIL and I didn't think much of the dimensions until it was time to get it in the mail. I realized that I had made a 6 x 6 card and DON'T have 6 x 6 envelopes! Mind you, I'm not going to go to the store and scour the aisles for envelopes. I just figured I would make one myself. Never had I made an envelope before so I thought about looking for tutorials. I found a few but none of them showed me what I needed to know. CURSE YOU ENVELOPE!!! I have the basics of how an envelope should be assembled but measurements are definitely not my thing. I used a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock and that STILL wasn't big enough! So, I took another small piece of the cardstock and added it on to the other piece. Of course it doesn't matter how it's cut considering that it's a square. If it doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit. So that's why I had to add an additional piece to make it just a wee bit longer. It's not the most fantastic thing I've come up with but it'll suffice. It's definitely sturdy so it should withstand the trek from Arizona to California pretty easily. Here's the card and envelope (front and back):

Paper: Making Memories Vintage Hip Collection-Gracen (flower patterned paper), and Cheeky Collection-Abby (pink paper).
Stamps: Oxford Impressions-French Script

The card was easy. Since I used a full 6 x 6 piece of paper, I connected them with ribbon at the top of the card (hard to see from the photo but it's sandwiched in between).


Front and back of the envelope.


Paper: Creative Imaginations-Marah Johnson
and some cheapie purple cardstock.

This envelope was such a pain in the ass. Last envelope for me I think.....

......anyway, the adhesive I used is Ad Tech's Permanent Bond Glue Runner. I'm loving this right now even though Jennifer is swaying me toward Tombow. Ay Chihuahua! So many supplies!!

Okay, well that's it for tonight. Hope to hear from you all soon! Toodles!

4 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Its always the size of paper you need that catches me out. Now, on the rare occasion tha ti makeone, I plop the the card in the centre of a 12 x 12 and if I can bring the four corners together in points I can make the envelope. If not, I'd sooner make a different card!!!

Kathy2eggs said...

That's why I keep a huge box of old envelopes that are left over from days gone by...and when I need one, if it fits, in it goes...I don't care if they are a little too big..so now I always make my cards after I find an envie...just my little pearl of wisdom..ha ha.

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Oh Natalie...I think your envelope is BEAUTIFUL!! Love your blog!!

Anonymous said...

If you use a scor-pal envelopes are realy simple. there is a recipe for each size envelope and directions on their web site. Really like the card and envelope and a new stamp wow. Shirley Smith