Thursday, May 14, 2009

Printing On Fabric -- It Really Works!

Okay, I said I was gonna go til tomorrow but I've been playing around a little and decided it was time for me to try to print onto fabric. I've been a little weary to try it but I figure, what the hell, just do it. So I just did it. And it was the easiest thing ever. I taped my fabric piece down to a piece of printer paper and put it in facing the correct way. I adjusted my printer settings and pressed print. Voila! It's done. And it came out perfect!

If you're going to try this too, do make sure you have a piece of paper underneath your fabric no matter what. Not only does it support the weight of the fabric and ease it through the printer, it also absorbs the excess ink that bleeds through the fabric.

I would also recommend using a lightweight fabric opposed to a heavier one only because I'm afraid it will get jammed in the printer and cause you some unnecessary tugging and cursing. Lol.

Overall it was easy and the results speak for themselves. Sorry about this photo, as I took it with my phone (trying to avoid the annoying task of taking the photo with my camera, then taking out the memory card, then putting it in the memory card reader, then downloading all the photos) and it doesn't produce the best results. I'll be sure to post a photo of the finished project once it's underway and to my visual satisfaction. Until we meet again.....

2 comments:

audrey h. said...

Hi Natalie...wanted to come by and give you a huge 'thanks' for leaving me such a wonderful comment. You are too kind. Thank you so much.

Your image turned out great on the fabric. I usually just use the printable fabric sheets you can buy in a pack. I was always afraid to use regular fabric but I will have to give it a go.

Have a great weekend!

Stephanie said...

Hi Natalie, to make your printing on fabric feed through the printer a bit easier, try ironing the fabric to the shiny side of freezer paper - the kind you can get in the grocery store. Also, depending on the ink in your printer to make your print more permanent and keep it from fading, you can pretreat the fabric with a product called Bubble Jet Set or give the finished image a light coat of clear spray paint preferably matte finish. great for your first attempt! Can't wait to see your stamps.